[OS X TeX] clickable url in Pdftex

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Sat May 26 16:01:49 EDT 2012

In the interest of leanness, I thought to replace some background in
the Magnum Opus by references to Wikipedia.

I wrote the Magnum Opus with hard copy in mind but it turns out a
number of people read it on line which made me think of making the url
clickable. So, I put

\usepackage{hyperref}%[pdfborder={0 0 0}]

in the preamble and documents that compiled very nicely until then,
including stuff like:

> (See \url{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic})

immediately failed with the message:

> LaTeX Warning: You have requested, on input line 250, version
>                `2009/07/21' of package kvoptions,
>                but only version
>                `2007/10/18 v3.0 Keyval support for LaTeX options (HO)'
>                is available.
>
> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/pd1enc.def)
> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/
> hyperref.cfg)
> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.sty:
> 3896: Undefined control sequence.
> l.3896 \DeclareLocalOptions
>                            {%
> ?

However, line 250 is in the middle of a big block of text that is
commented out.

As for "kvoptions", I installed Mac Tex a few months ago when I went
from 10.4.11 to 10.5.8.  and I forgot how to find the version number
via the terminal.

Once hyperref was removed, all went back to smooth operation. So no
harm but hyperref is truly not for the faint of heart.

Still, what did I do wrong? (<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Hyperlinks
 > did not help.)

Regards
--schremmer