[OS X TeX] clickable url in Pdftex

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 26 16:22:12 EDT 2012

On May 26, 2012, at 3:01 PM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> In the interest of leanness, I thought to replace some background in the Magnum Opus by references to Wikipedia.
>
> I wrote the Magnum Opus with hard copy in mind but it turns out a number of people read it on line which made me think of making the url clickable. So, I put
>
> \usepackage{hyperref}%[pdfborder={0 0 0}]
>
> in the preamble and documents that compiled very nicely until then, including stuff like:
>
>> (See \url{http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arithmetic})
>
> immediately failed with the message:
>
>> LaTeX Warning: You have requested, on input line 250, version
>>               `2009/07/21' of package kvoptions,
>>               but only version
>>               `2007/10/18 v3.0 Keyval support for LaTeX options (HO)'
>>               is available.
>>
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/pd1enc.def)
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/latexconfig/hyperref.cfg)
>> /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex/latex/hyperref/hyperref.sty:3896: Undefined control sequence.
>> l.3896 \DeclareLocalOptions
>>                           {%
>> ?
>
> However, line 250 is in the middle of a big block of text that is commented out.

Howdy,

At the time of the error it isn't your file being read in but hyperref.sty.

> As for "kvoptions", I installed Mac Tex a few months ago when I went from 10.4.11 to 10.5.8.  and I forgot how to find the version number via the terminal.

Did you do any manual updating (e.g., updating hyperref manually)?

When then did you install MacTeX-2010? Please go to the System Preferences->TeX Distribution preference pane and see which TeX distribution active. Unfortunately, TeX Live 2010 can no longer be automatically updated (will someone tell me I'm wrong?). Updating things like hyperref or kvoptions is really tricky because there are too many interdependent packages.

Your best bet is to download and install MacTeX-2011 (since you now on OS X 10.5 it will work) from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/2011/> and, once it's installed, immediately run TeX Live Utility to get all the updates available between the time TeX Live 2011 was released and the time it was frozen (in preparation for the release of TeX Live 2012---still in pretest mode). That should give you a completely consistent set of files.

Don't be afraid, you can always change back to TeX Live 2010 via the TeX Distribution preference pane.

> Once hyperref was removed, all went back to smooth operation. So no harm but hyperref is truly not for the faint of heart.
>
> Still, what did I do wrong? (<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/LaTeX/Hyperlinks> did not help.)
>
> Regards
> --schremmer

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)