[OS X TeX] Re: MacOSX-TeX Digest, Vol 55, Issue 28

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun May 27 15:54:28 EDT 2012

On May 27, 2012, at 2:15 PM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> On 5/27/12 3:00 PM, Herbert Schulz<herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>> Subject: Re: [OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.10
>>
>> Besides the changes in the default base pdf(la)tex engines in TeXShop 3.10, the default file used by the latexmk engines also has the --shell-escape flag turned off. This does not effect previous users of the latexmk engines since that setting does not get overwritten once any latexmk engine has been used.
>>
>> If it hasn't been edited, previous users can simply remove the ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/latexmkrcedit file and typeset using any latexmk engine to recreate the new default version. Alternatively, you can edit that file and change the line
>>
>> $TSUserCompileOptions = '--shell-escape';
>>
>> to have an empty string, i.e.,
>>
>> $TSUserCompileOptions = '';
>>
>> and all the latexmk engines will lose the --shell-escape flag.
>
> Sorry, I got lost here: previously I installed the engines from your files in Latexmk431TeXShop.zip (2012--5-01) into whatever version of TeXShop I was running then (3.07? 3.08?).
>
> Now I've upgraded to TeXShop 3.10. Do I need to do anything with the latexmk files?

Howdy,

Note several things.

1)When you update to a new TeXShop after using an old one (i.e., you are NOT a new user) the standard behavior is that even if the default preferences change the user's actual  preferences don't change under them since there may have been many customizations.

1a)In previous versions of TeXShop the ``--shell-escape'' option for the built-in pdftex and pdflatex engines were set. They will remain set for old users. To remove those option from those engines you need to either remove ~/Library/Preferences/TeXShop.plist and have TeXShop create a new one---not nice because you will have to set up your preferences all over again---or go into TeXShop->Preferences->Engine->pdfTeX and press the Default button for both the Tex and Latex options which will remove the --shell-escape options from the pdftex and pdflatex `engines.'

2)The first time you run any of the latexmk engines a similar thing happens. A file, ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/latexmkrcedit, is created. That file can be edited by the user to add customizations, etc. If a new version of TeXShop introduces an updated set of latexmk files or one updates from my download site that file is not touched since it may be customized by the user.

2a)In all previous versions of the latexmk engines the --shell-escape option was set by default, following TeXShop's convention. If you are a new user the new ~/Library/TeXShop/bin/latexmkrcedit file will be created. However, previous users will not get that change. The two ways to remove the --shell-escape option form the latexmk engines are similar to the two options for TeXShop; either remove that file and typeset with one of the latexmk engines which will recreate that file with the updated information---and lose any customizations you added, etc.---or edit the file as I described in my note.

Hope that straightens things out.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)