[OS X TeX] command-click on the name of a console file

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 16:29:42 EST 2012

On 16/11/2012, at 8:19 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2012, at 3:08 PM, Nicolae Garleanu <garleanu at haas.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> It means that you don't have to close windows all the time -- they disappear as soon as the problem is solved, or simply the compiler is told to skip it. I know how to close an extra window, I just wished I didn't have to. I am also sure it is technically feasible, thus could be part of a future release: when compilation reaches end, close window automatically.
>>
>> A bit like my earlier post about being able to double-click in the source to search the pdf and vice-versa, rather than Cmd-click -- in principle feasible, nice to have (for some people, at least) although not a sine-qua-non.
>>
>> Nicolae

> Howdy,
>
> I guess I like having the console window hanging around (by the way, I have the console window always come to the font when I compile---it drops behind the Preview when compilation is complete) since I can then trace everything that has happened (even if it's a line that doesn't break nicely) quickly.

Exactly.
There are many things that do not count as an error to interrupt
compilation, but nevertheless look bad in the final PDF output.

The Console/Log is your friend here.

e.g.
 Underfull and Overfull boxes,
 whether all your citations, cross-references etc. have been
  fully resolved,
 Other types of warning
 Font substitutions
 messages that you can write to yourself
 versions of packages
 tracing problematic coding, or just to see how it works
 etc.
 etc.

It just takes some time and experience to understand everything
that it is telling you about your last LaTeX run.

Unless you look at the Console, or examine every page
of your final PDF, there can easily be imperfections that
you just do not know about.

In short, people should learn to use the Console more, not less.

> I admit that my work habit is to only be working on and compiling one root source file at a time although I may have other source files open at the same time being used for reference, etc.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz

Hope this helps,

	Ross