[OS X TeX] PDFs with gradient mesh applied don't appear

Gary L. Gray glgray at me.com
Tue Nov 20 01:30:27 EST 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 8:26 PM, Richard Koch <koch at math.uoregon.edu> wrote:

> This is clearly a bug in Apple's code. Tomorrow I'll report this bug to Apple.
> It would be useful if you could send me a detailed report about how you
> created that image, because details bring better responses from Apple's
> engineers. I'll send the illustration from your email unless you object.

Thanks Dick. I am relieved to see that it isn't just my machine.

Feel free to send Apple the file that I posted to the list. In addition, here is the simple procedure to create the problematic graphic.

(1) Create a shape in Illustrator (in the attached file, I created a simple oval).

(2) Go to Object > Select Gradient Mesh… (see the attached screen shot).

(3) Typeset the following code using pdflatex (mesh_gradient_test.pdf is also attached):

\documentclass[12pt]{article}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\begin{document}
\includegraphics{mesh_gradient_test}
\end{document}

(4) What I see is what you see in the attached file named Screen Shot 2012-11-20 at 12.29.42 AM.png

I hope this helps.

Gary

[see attached file: Screen Shot 2012-11-19 at 11.30.09 PM.png]

[see attached file: mesh_gradient_test.pdf]