[OS X TeX] Console behaviour

Josep Maria Font jmfont at ub.edu
Fri Apr 26 16:20:34 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I often typeset documents with some conditional macros that ask for user input at the beginning of typesetting. For this the console has to activate and come to the foreground. However, this does not happen with all combinations of preferences: It *only* happens if you have chosen:

Console > Show Console > always  [as opposed to "when error occurs"]

*and*

Typesetting > After Typesetting > Bring Preview Forward  [as opposed to "Continue Editing"]

In any of the three other combinations of these items, typesetting stops waiting for user input, but you have to activate the Console window manually in order to introduce the needed text; if you have "always" with "COntinue Eidting", the Console appears as the front window but is not active (!), and if you have "when error occurs", it remains in the background, hence invisible in small screens where source and preview take all the available space even overlapping.

This is kind of annoying, for I would like to have "Continue Editing" selected when working with large screens with room for source and preview side-by-side, so that you can see the preview window without it becoming the front window. But even if I manually activate it, the Console once activated to receive the user input remains there as the front window, and you have to click in the editing window, so the effect of "Continue Editing" is somehow overridden.

It would make sense (I think) that the Console becomes front and active whenever it needs user input, regardless of the chosen option in Console > Show Console. And, in case you have "when error occurs", it should return to the background if no further error occurs.

FWIW, I am using TeXShop 3.11 in three machines, with Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion; same behaviour in the three.

Am I missing some (hiden?) preference to change this behaviour ? Is this a feature request ?

Best,

JMaF

Aquest correu electrònic i els annexos poden contenir informació confidencial o protegida legalment i està adreçat exclusivament a la persona o entitat destinatària. Si no sou el destinatari final o la persona encarregada de rebre’l, no esteu autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar-ne el contingut. Si heu rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, us preguem que n’informeu al remitent i que elimineu del sistema el missatge i el material annex que pugui contenir. Gràcies per la vostra col·laboració.

Este correo electrónico y sus anexos pueden contener información confidencial o legalmente protegida y está exclusivamente dirigido a la persona o entidad destinataria. Si usted no es el destinatario final o la persona encargada de recibirlo, no está autorizado a leerlo, retenerlo, modificarlo, distribuirlo, copiarlo ni a revelar su contenido. Si ha recibido este mensaje electrónico por error, le rogamos que informe al remitente y elimine del sistema el mensaje y el material anexo que pueda contener. Gracias por su colaboración.

This email message and any documents attached to it may contain confidential or legally protected material and are intended solely for the use of the individual or organization to whom they are addressed. We remind you that if you are not the intended recipient of this email message or the person responsible for processing it, then you are not authorized to read, save, modify, send, copy or disclose any of its contents. If you have received this email message by mistake, we kindly ask you to inform the sender of this and to eliminate both the message and any attachments it carries from your account. Thank you for your collaboration.