[OS X TeX] TeXShop 3.18 no longer has icons for .tex files

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Jun 12 07:42:57 EDT 2013

On Jun 11, 2013, at 9:37 PM, Thomas Rike <tricycle222 at att.net> wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>>> Remember, use mdls to diagnose this sort of problem…. I cant give the proper flags since I'm not at my Mac now, but they're in the recent archives of this list.
>>>
>>> Adam
>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> Here's what I get when I simply run mdls on one of my .tex files (Note: they show up with the correct icon in all views except Cover Flow which shows a Preview style icon):
>>
>> $ mdls /Users/herbs/Documents/Docs/index.tex
>> kMDItemContentCreationDate     = 2013-05-19 13:30:43 +0000
>> kMDItemContentModificationDate = 2013-05-29 11:05:02 +0000
>> kMDItemContentType             = "edu.uo.texshop.tex"
>>

> Snip 0X
>
>> Notice that kMDItemContentTypeTree contains ``edu.uo.texshp.tex plus other public items and the kMDItemKind is ``TeX File''. Don't know how to deal with the flags.
>
> Yes, this is just what I was seeing. The file on my iMac which has icons and gives
>
> $ mdls /Users/trike/2012Files/MathClub2012-13/MathClubSummer2012a.tex
>
> kMDItemContentType             = "edu.uo.texshop.tex"
> kMDItemKind                    = "TeX File"
>
> but when I open the same file that I emailed to my MacBookPro where it has no icons on .tex files give
>
> $ mdls /Users/trike/Desktop/MathClubSummer2012a.tex
>
> kMDItemContentType             = "com.barebones.bbedit.tex-source"
> kMDItemKind                    = "TeX source file"
>
> I have tried rebuilding launch services database in several ways even setting defaults (which gives my assigns TextWrangler to open with .tex files). Changing to TeXShop.app and then Change All does not work. Is there somewhere in the archives that tells how change to metadata to reflect TeXShop.
>
> Thanks again for continuing to explore this.

Howdy,

Could you try to zip BBEdit (or TextWrangler, if that's what you have) and then rebuild Launch Services on the MacBook Pro? If that fixes things try to unzip it (I couldn't live without BBEdit for long) and see if the settings stick. Trying one thing at a time.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)