[OS X TeX] Font management with MacTeX 2013

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 20 02:02:04 EDT 2013

On Jun 19, 2013, at 6:15 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> Or... just put all the fonts in one location, e.g., .../texmf-local, and still live with one updmap.cfg file. :-)

That works very well as long as you don't use the --enable/--disable options to updmap-sys, perhaps inadvertently, which will create an updmap.cfg in texmf-config. (This happens when you install fonts with scripts like getnonfreefonts-sys, for example.) Then you have two updmap.cfg files, one trumping the other for the remainder of the current TeXLive year. That's not to say that keeping as much as you can in texmf-local doesn't have some serious advantages---it does not need to be reinstalled with every new TeXLive year. To me, having one updmap.cfg that lasts forever even when using --enable/--disable, with the proper initiation each year, is worth a lot.

Michael