[OS X TeX] Font management with MacTeX 2013

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jun 20 07:34:47 EDT 2013

Am 20.06.2013 um 08:02 schrieb Michael Sharpe:

> This happens when you install fonts with scripts like getnonfreefonts-sys, for example.

I think it's possible to mimic their additions in an additional config file, /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg (see "texdoc updmap.cfg").

To create the file and its parents directories one needs elevated privileges (sudo mkdir -p /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c ; sudo nano /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg), as your scheme need as well. This file can also contain the updmap options to use Adobe or URW fonts, Karl Berry or other TeX font names, preferences to support this or that, to disable a lot of MAP file fragments (for Vietnamese font variants, quasi fonts, etc.), and, of course, enable extra MAP file fragments:

	LW35 ADOBEkb
	pdftexDownloadBase14 false
	dvipdfmDownloadBase14 false
	pxdviUse false
	#! Map ESSTIX.map
	#! Map SkakNew.map
	#! Map allrunes.map
	Map PS3fonts
	Map slh
	Map sls
	Map slst
	Map ma1

(To remember my own MAP file fragments I add them without the file name extension – it works at least until TL '12.) This config file can be reused, it certainly can be used in coming TeX Live releases. It can also be used to upgrade the recent TeX Live release. Once the file is created, the updmap(-sys) commands will start to use /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg.

(The are similar mechanisms for languages and FMTs, see "texdoc tlmgr".)

--
Greetings

  Pete

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
	- Douglas Adams, »Mostly Harmless«