[OS X TeX] Creating movies for embedding in beamer

J. McKenzie Alexander jalex at lse.ac.uk
Sun Aug 3 22:13:43 EDT 2014

Hello,

I was wondering what method people use for creating a lossless mp4 file from a PNG image sequence to embed in a beamer presentation.  I’m using the ‘media9’ package for displaying the mp4 file using the StrobeMediaPlayback.swf engine as follows:

\includemedia[
width=\textwidth,height=\textwidth,
addresource=out.mp4,
activate=onclick,
flashvars={src=out.mp4
  &autoPlay=false
  &controlBarAutoHideTimeout=1}]{}{StrobeMediaPlayback.swf}

In the past, I would encode mp4 files using ffmpeg as follows:

	ffmpeg -f image2 -r 6 -i image-%03d.png -vcodec libx264 out.mp4

but it seems OS X Mavericks can’t play those files with the default Quicktime player.  One has to convert the colorspace to YUV as follows:

	ffmpeg -f image2 -r 6 -i image-%03d.png -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p out.mp4

which doesn’t seem to generate lossless output (the frames are rather blurry).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  I know that one can use the \animategraphics command from the ‘animate’ package, but that creates rather bloated PDFs.

Many thanks,

Jason