[OS X TeX] Creating movies for embedding in beamer

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at icloud.com
Mon Aug 4 08:54:23 EDT 2014

On Aug 3, 2014, at 10:13 PM, J. McKenzie Alexander <jalex at lse.ac.uk> wrote:

> In the past, I would encode mp4 files using ffmpeg as follows:
>
> 	ffmpeg -f image2 -r 6 -i image-%03d.png -vcodec libx264 out.mp4
>
> but it seems OS X Mavericks can’t play those files with the default Quicktime player.  One has to convert the colorspace to YUV as follows:

Jason,

If you have Mathematica, you could use its import/export capabilities to read in png files and export them into various video formats. Mathematica is an expensive overkill if the only thing you want to do is assemble a video, but if you do have access to it, it is a straightforward thing to do:

SetDirectory at NotebookDirectory[];
fileList = Table[(ToString at i) <> ".png", {i, 1, 10}];
myFrames = Import /@ fileList;
Export["myMovie.mov", myFrames, "VideoEncoding" -> "MPEG-4 Video”]

These commands read 10 files with the names i.png (i=1,…,10) and export them in a movie that plays in quicktime on mavericks.

Themis