[OS X TeX] Writing a book

"M. Tamer Özsu" ozsut at mac.com
Thu Jan 30 10:11:42 EST 2014

John,

LaTeX is very flexible and it is possible to do all of what your friend wants in LaTeX. There are many sources but one that is commonly recommended is

Guide to LaTeX by Kopka and Daly

Incidentally, you can see some book styles at http://www.latextemplates.com/cat/books. I am sure others can point to other examples and online sources.

One particular limiting issue that you need to consider seems to be that your publisher does not work with LaTeX, and this may restrict your options irrespective of what you can do within LaTeX.

==Tamer