[OS X TeX] How to stop application of accents in TeXShop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 11 07:21:18 EST 2014

> On Nov 11, 2014, at 4:13 AM, Alan Litchfield <alan at alphabyte.co.nz> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> OS 10.9.5 on an MBPr.
>
> In this new (to me) version of the OS, I have another annoying behaviour.
>
> How do I stop the automatic application of accents when I type `` in TeXShop? It is tiring having to ``[space]A... To get ``A instead of getting `À.
>
> Is there some setting I have to change in Preferences?
>
> Regards
> Alan
> --
> Dr Alan Litchfield
> AlphaByte
> PO Box 1941
> Auckland, New Zealand 1140

Howdy,

Are you using a French keyboard layout? That certainly isn't what happens with a US keyboard layout on my system. Does that happen if you type a single ` and A?

To test out if it's TeXShop, rather than the system, try turning off Key Bindings in TeXShop->Preferences->Source->Editor and see if that stops the behavior. If so you can Source->Key Bindings->Edit Key Bindings File… and remove the offending item and turn Key Bindings back on in TeXShop.

If it isn't within TeXShop take a look in System Preferences->Keyboard->Text and see if something there or Language & Region is doing something.

Finally, in my Key Bindings file I've got " producing ``|'' where | is any selection and then the insertion point so the complete, balanced double quote structure is created at once.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)