[OS X TeX] Yosemite 10.10.1

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Nov 22 08:22:55 EST 2014

> On Nov 21, 2014, at 9:54 PM, pbjacob <pbjacob86 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Howdy,
>
> Several days ago, I formatted the hardware and installed the Yosemite 10.10. 0.
> Then I installed the BasicTeX with some packages I need, and kept on updating the packages all the time via tlmgr commands.
> The TeX worked well.
>
> When I updated my mac into 10.10.1, I found there is something wrong with TeXworks.app.
> For example, I create a new .tex file as follows:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \begin{document}
> test
> \end{document}
>
> In TeXworks.app, I compile the file using XeLaTeX, and obtained the following messages:
>
> This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-0.99991 (TeX Live 2014) (preloaded format=xelatex)
> restricted \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./draft.tex
> LaTeX2e <2014/05/01>
> Babel <3.9k> and hyphenation patterns for 21 languages loaded.
> (/usr/local/texlive/2014basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
> Document Class: article 2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
> (/usr/local/texlive/2014basic/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
> (./draft.aux) [1] (./draft.aux)sh: xdvipdfmx: command not found
> )
> Error 32512 (driver return code) generating output;
> file draft.pdf may not be valid.
> SyncTeX written on draft.synctex.gz.
> Transcript written on draft.log.
>
> However, if I type the compiling commands in the terminal such as xelatex draft.tex, it outputs the right pdf file and no error messages come out.
> It seems that my TeX system works well, but the TeXworks.app doesn’t.
>
> So, how can I repair my TeXworks.app? Thank you!
>
> By the way, the path settings in TeXworks.app are as follows in my mac:
> /usr/bin
> /bin
> /usr/sbin
> /sbin
> /usr/texbin
> /usr/local/bin
>

>> On Nov 18, 2014, at 6:16 AM, Richard Seguin <riseguin at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone installed this update yet? Did it fix or break anything (Tex, TeXShop, BBEdit, Skim, etc.)? The only significant problem I’ve had with 10.10 is the font smoothing problem.
>>
>> Richard

Howdy,

Yosemite, even the 10.10.0 and not fixed with 10.10.1, has a bug that doesn't properly pass the environment to processes generated by GUI apps that, in turn, generate sub processes. They have been notified of the problem.

TeXworks, and quite a few other apps (TeX Live Utility [before version 1.19], I believe Lyx---there is a new version, 2.1.2.2, that may fix the problem[anyone?]---and TeXmaker[?]/TeXStudio[?]). TeXShop and TeX Live Utility 1.19 pass the environment in a different way and don't suffer from the problem.

Hopefully I've got this all right. If not I welcome corrections. I would also welcome a fix from Apple in 10.10.2.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)