[OS X TeX] Simple Cyrillic Example

Robert Love rblove_lists at comcast.net
Sat Feb 21 21:46:33 EST 2015

I would love to see a simple example of Russian text working.   My goal is to make a simple list of Russian technical terms with the english definition beside it but getting any cyrillic to show is just not working.  My first attempt looks like this:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[T2A,T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage[russian,english]{babel}

\begin{document}
The word for word is \foreignlanguage{russian}{слово}
\end{document}

When typeset with LaTeX slovo shows up as ?????.   There are no error messages.   I entered the cyrillic letters using the Mac keyboard set to Russian.  I’m using the current TeXShop and current TexLive contents.

—
Bob Love
"They said it couldn't be done but sometimes it doesn't work out that way.” -- Casey Stengel