[OS X TeX] A request re Experiment

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Fri Jun 12 17:30:22 EDT 2015

I have been extremely happy to have discovered the "Experiment" feature in TeXShop;  it allows me to check small pieces of my rather huge total project without waiting a few minutes every time I decide to typeset.
However, there is one feature that is driving me up the wall, and I would like to ask if there is a way to fix it.

I tend sometimes to typeset in Experiment something on the order of a page of text.  I do so by selecting the text I want to check
in my original source code, copying/pasting it onto the "file.tex" window of Experiment, and then typesetting it; when the typesetting detects a problem like runaway argument or undefined command and I suspect it is a missing brace or a misspelling, I correct it in the Experiment window and typeset again (if I were to do that in my big project, I would have to reset everything--that is, abort, trash aux files, then typeset a few times, once latex, then bib and make index, then again latex--but on a small piece like this and in Experiment it is no problem}.  When I am all done and the piece typesets without a hitch, I then copy/paste back the Experiment code to the original (which is still selected).  This works well except that I have to remember when I go to correct something on the Experiment window, even if I move my cursor to a given spot, unless I click on the Experiment window before going to my correction point, the cursor that the editor sees is not where I see it on the screen--it is presumably where it last was when I hit typeset.
This has led to innumerable times when I thought I had made a correction only to discover too late that I had typed that correction in a different place than I wanted to, creating havoc in my correction process.

I realize that one shouldn't expect such niceties in the Experiment window like being able to use command-F to search for something, but this one feature needs to have a warning or something, so that moving the cursor to a spot and then clicking there
does not appear to be ready for an insertion at that point, since that is not where the insertion is going to go.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155