[OS X TeX] Compilation problems since Upgrade to TeXShop 3.51
msharpe at ucsd.edu
Sat May 2 15:55:34 EDT 2015
> On May 1, 2015, at 11:29 AM, Bréard, Andrea <andrea.breard at asia-europe.uni-heidelberg.de> wrote:
> Nothing else changed on my system that I was aware of in the last days.
> And yes, I use a separate .bib file. All files are UTF-8 encoded, and everything looks fine with the Chinese and the Japanese in the book.
> I have made several experiments with the French and German hyphentated characters in authors' names in my bib file, because I had the feeling that the compilation problem is related to that. I noticed that there is some confusion if I use both, Bréard and Br\'eard in the author field. The bibliography is not ordered correctly. An entry "Brennert" would be placed between the "Br\'eard" and "Bréard" entries for example. The error message refers exactly to the page of the output file with the "Bréard" entries, which is the first occurrence of a hyphenated author's name in the alphabetically ordered list of references. But setting all entries in the .bib file to "Br\'eard" does not solve the compilation issue.
Though I don't understand how updating TeXShop to 3.51 could lead to the outcome you describe, I have noticed that XeLaTeX was becoming problematic with previously functional source files, and what works correctly for me now is to update to the most recent tlpretest version of MacTeX-20150430. The XeTeX installed with that seems not to have the problems of previous versions. I tried it with BiauKai.ttf and it ran without issues except those due to the fact that BiauKai.ttf does not contain a full set of accents commonly used in Latin typography. E.g., it has a grave but no acute, so you get an empty box when you try to typeset \'e. You could of course correct this with a a virtual font construction (not so easy) or by specifying a different font for European text.
More information about the MacOSX-TeX