[OS X TeX] Install fail

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at math.fsu.edu
Wed Sep 2 22:08:48 EDT 2015

Herb,

John has answered that the file /etc/paths.d/TeX contains the line /Library/TeX/texbin.

So the question is why that file doesn’t get read. The files in /etc/paths.d are read by /usr/libexec/path_helper, which is called by /etc/csh.login (for csh) or /etc/profile (bash and ksh) or /etc/zshenv (for zsh).

Which files should have been edited? Those under /etc? That’s possible but unlikely. There could be some other .file lingering somewhere that we don’t know about. One possibility is .tcshrc.

It’s possible tcsh does NOT read /etc/csh.login if it’s not a login shell. In that case path_helper would not be called, and the environment gets read from another dot file. In that case, I agree with you, it would be better to switch to a more predictable shell. (I remember 10.1, which in BSD semi-orthodoxy used tcsh, had a very baroque system of initialization files. Hopefully we are not dealing with a leftover of that!)

Hopefully we will know soon.

—E