[OS X TeX] To upgrade or not to upgrade (To 10.10)

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 11:53:00 EDT 2015

On , at 2015 Sep 18,11:37 AM, Christian Demmer wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 23:45:33 -0400, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> I just now got a Mid 2011 mac mini running a thunderbolt screen that
>> came with Yosemite on it. Remembrances of threads past say that
>> installing LaTeX on it is not going to be a peaceful operation.
>>
>> So, what are the pro and con of keeping 10.10 against reverting to
>> 10.6? More specifically, I have two questions:
>
> Not related to TeX, but the Mini 2011 does not support 10.6, minimum OS
> is 10.7.

What do you mean "not related"? This means that I *must* upgrade! And if I have to go to 10.7 I probably might as well keep the 10.10 that the the Mini 2011 came with., get a fresh install of MacTeX and hope for the best. (When I migrated from the 10.5 PPC backup to the new old 10.6 mac mini, a number of folders and files got locked. As it turned out, though, all I had to do was to copy the contents and put these in new containers. But it took me about 10 hours to do so.)

> You can fill the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext with the appropriate
> plists to get Mini 2011 support (I did) but I do not recommend to do so
> anymore. I observed some kernel panics that went away after moving from
> 10.6.8 to 10.8.5.

No way since I would panic even more than the kernel. So, 10.10 is pretty much a done deed. (I will just transfer the files manually. Shouldn't take me more than an hour.)

> Greetings, Chris

Very, very grateful regards
--schremmer