[OS X TeX] Umlauts won't print

Manuel libros2 at limay.de
Tue Sep 22 14:39:49 EDT 2015

Good morning. I am working with TexShop 3.52 under OS 10.10.5. Since I
upgraded and updated, my old documents are giving me trouble. With this
preamble:

\documentclass[article,twoside,a4paper]{memoir}
\usepackage[applemac]{inputenc}
\usepackage[german]{babel}
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{booktabs}
\usepackage{amsmath}
\usepackage{memhfixc}
\usepackage{pdfsync}
\usepackage{wrapfig}
\settocdepth{subsection}
\pagestyle{plain}
\begin{document}

letters with umlauts either do not appear (oddly enough, not even in the
source) or do so in a variety of apparently arbitrarily forms like ~n
instead o ñ, É instead of é and I hope this will show correctly in this
mail. I looked for but did not find a solution. Probably the magic words
have changed. Is there any helping wizard?

Thanks,

Manuel