[OS X TeX] TeXShop question

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Feb 8 16:28:09 EST 2016

> On Feb 8, 2016, at 3:04 PM, Justin C. Walker <justin at mac.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, All,
>
> I just noticed (being alert and all), after using TeXShop on Yosemite and El Cap for quite a while, an oddity in the behavior of “One Window” usage: when the source file is edited, the “dirty” button on the window is not changed to indicate the change of state.  Is this something beyond TeXShop’s control?  Is there *any* way to tell that you’ve added/deleted characters from the file?  Of course, “ls -l” will tell you, but that seems to be a bit problematic.
>
> Admittedly, I have yet to come up with  case where it actually causes problems, but it does make me twitch a bit.  In addition, I suppose that with two files in the window, this button/indicator loses something.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Justin

Howdy,

This is part of the `Auto-Save' mechanism in recent (since OS X 10.7?) versions of OS X. The same occurs in multi-window mode. It also leads to things like no Save As… (by default --- it's hidden) and the File->Revert To menu item. Have you noticed that you don't need to do an explicit Save (Cmd-S) when you Quit TeXShop with previously saved open documents (well you can turn that off, and get the annoying dialog boxes, in System Preferences->General preference pane)?

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)