[OS X TeX] Chapter proof outputs

Alan Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Thu Jun 16 17:19:03 EDT 2016

Hi,

I know this is a question that comes up from time to time, but I have
yet to find a satisfactory answer. I just hoping for some suggestions
for improvement.

Several (many) years ago I developed a thesis template while doing my
master thesis based on the report class. I further adapted it for my PhD
and some folk saw what I'd done and asked to use it. Since then, it has
become the defacto template for the university where I work. That means
I have had to spend a lot of time cleaning it up, simplifying parts and
writing documentation on how to use it. Now I am at a stage where I need
to resolve an annoyance, which is *how to generate chapter proofs* for
supervisors to check.

Presently, I have two template headers: one for the whole thesis that
generates all the front matter, chapters (as includes), ToCs, etc.; the
other is for chapter proofs that produces a front page with the student
name, chapter title, etc and then the chapter as an include (the person
changes the chapter file to be included for each proof).

The downside of the present situation is that chapter numbers have to be
replaced with a preset counter ("X" in this case) and cross references
to other chapters are broken.

What I would like is to present the option of a chapter proof as an
option declared such as this for a full thesis:
\documentclass[12pt,AK1324,thesis,doublespace]{autthesis}

and this for a chapter proof:
\documentclass[12pt,AK1324,thesis,doublespace,proof="includes/LitReview"]{autthesis}

In other words, that unless "proof=[some file name]" is declared as an
option, the whole thesis is generated. It would be really nice if the
thesis aux file were used to maintain the integrity of counters and labels.

As I said, suggestions are very welcome. The template lives at:
http://aut.ac.nz.libguides.com/computer/LaTeX

Alan
--
Dr Alan Litchfield