[OS X TeX] Author Index

David Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Mon Jun 20 12:41:07 EDT 2016

I was reluctant to post here, because there are so many experts, and I’m strictly an amateur. But here’s what I wrote George and Herb off-list:

As Herb knows, I’m working on a big book (900 pp). The publisher wanted separate indices for terms and for authors Here’s the relevant part of my preamble:

\documentclass[10 pt]{memoir}
\usepackage[splitindex]{imakeidx}
\makeindex[name=s,title=Subject Index]
\makeindex[name=a,title=Author Index]

And then in the body of the text,
 …

See  M.\,E.\,Rose, \emph{Relativistic Electron Theory},\index[a]{Rose, Morris E.} Wiley, 1961, pp.\,193-196. Rose explicitly shows the suppression of positron density near the hydrogen nucleus as $| \mathbf{p}| \to 0$, and ascribes this suppression to Coulomb repulsion acting on positrons. Dirac's success was a good thing because it told people that the basic ideas were right, but it was a bad thing because it led people to spend a lot of time worrying about one particle, two particle, and three particle theories, because they didn't realize the hydrogen atom was a very special system. We will see that you cannot have a consistent relativistic picture without pair production.\index[s]{pair production}

So after typesetting twice, I run, from TeXShop’s Typeset menu, MakeIndex. I then typeset a third time, and that takes care of that. I attach the indices. (I haven’t indexed more than the first four chapters or so.)

At the end of the main file,

\footnotesize
\printindex[a]
\printindex[s]
\end{document}

I attach the two pages of indices (though if the moderator would prefer them not to be included, that’s fine.)

Hope this helps George, whose beautiful books on LaTeX made it possible for me to get started with this wonderful software.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Laboratory Schools