[OS X TeX] Sierra and TeXShop

Richard M. Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 10 14:39:23 EDT 2017

Pietro,

Please update your TeX Live distribution using TeX Live Utility. This should fix your problem.

I predict you also included the pdftricks library.

This is NOT a TeXShop bug. What happens is that typesetting creates a slightly incorrect pdf
file. In Sierra 10.12.4 (but not earlier), this bug causes Apple's PDFKit to crash, bringing down
TeXShop, Preview, etc.

The bug is caused by loading tikx BEFORE loading pstricks, and then typesetting with pdflatex.
Now when you use pstricks, you are supposed to typeset with TeX + DVI, but some users
include pstricks but don't use it, and then typeset with pdflatex.This used to work, but now
fails.

However, the author of pstricks very very recently fixed this problem, hence the instruction to
upgrade. (Notice that many of your old projects will still fail if you did the same thing, until you retypeset
them.

Apple knows about this bug.

This is another, rarer, bug in PDFKit, so write if this doesn't work.

Dick Koch