[OS X TeX] biber runs although I specify backend=bibtex for blbilatx

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 10:50:01 EDT 2017

> On Jul 16, 2017, at 8:36 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jul 15, 2017, at 7:48 PM, Murray Eisenberg <murrayeisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I zapped all auxiliary files, including generated bibliography files, and compiled the ocument again. Now the biker warnings have disappeared entirely….
>>

> What about the speed?/...
>
> Herb Schulz

With my book-length multi-file document, compilation now seems somewhat faster — although not as fast as before the update -- with a pause immediately after I press the Typeset button, and pauses as each re-run begins and as each custom rule begins to be processed. Making a small change in one of the files and typesetting again results in a run of about 1 minute.

I never timed the runs before the recent update to TeXShop (or routine TeXLive 2017 updates using the TeXLive Utility) because compilation just didn’t seem slow.

I do see that nearly 3-second pause at the start of processing — after I press the TeXShop Tpeset button —  even with so simple a source file as the following. I don’t recall seeing that in the past. Is that normal?

%%%% begin simpledoc.tex %%%%
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{lipsum}

\title{Brief Article}
\author{The Author}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

This is my document with some math $x^2-5\pi x=0$. And some displayed:

\[
J=\int_0^{\infty} e^{-\frac{1}{2} \xi^2}\;d\xi
\]

\lipsum[1]

\end{document}
%%%% end simpledoc.tex %%%%

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334