[OS X TeX] /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R: Permission denied; MacTeX 2017/High Sierra

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 23 15:08:20 EST 2017

> On Nov 23, 2017, at 12:56 PM, Rowland McDonnell <rjmmnet-lists at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I've just installed MacTeX 2017 on macOS High Sierra v10.13.1
>
> I want to add system-wide local additions, so I copied my usual system-wide additions to:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> as I've done previously.
>
> I followed the instructions here:
>
> http://tug.org/fonts/fontinstall.html
>
> to set up my additional fonts for the new installation.  All files are in appropriate places, so I ran the following Terminal commands:
>
> sudo -H mktexlsr
> sudo -H updmap-sys --force --enable Map=local_extras.map
> sudo -H mktexlsr
>
> Everything seemed in order, so I tried LaTeXing a simple test document to verify that my locally-added package and fonts were available (one of which is Monotype Joanna):
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{joanna}% load Monotype Joanna and other fonts to match
> \begin{document}
> Hello world.
> \end{document}
>
> This didn't work as expected - the locally-added ls-R file was unreadable:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ls-r: Permission denied
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R: Permission denied
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.18 (TeX Live 2017) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
> \write18 enabled.
> entering extended mode
> (./Untitled.tex
> LaTeX2e <2017-04-15>
> Babel <3.10> and hyphenation patterns for 84 language(s) loaded.
> (/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
> Document Class: article 2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
> (/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
>
> ! LaTeX Error: File `joanna.sty' not found.
>
> I checked permissions etc on the file in question using ls -la:
>
> -rw----r--   1 root     admin  38783 23 Nov 16:12 ls-R
>
> Finder.app tells me that permissions on that file are:
>
> system: Read & Write
> everyone: Read only
>
> I couldn't open the file in TextEdit. The Finder said:
>
> The document “ls-R” could not be opened. You don’t have permission.
>
> Just to check I wasn't missing anything obvious, I tried;
>
> kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
>
> which gave an output of:
>
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ls-r: Permission denied
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/ls-R: Permission denied
> /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local
>
> I made a copy of the troublesome ls-R file using the Finder's File->Duplicate command and I could open that (filename: ls-R copy) without trouble in Textedit.app.  It's got the expected contents.
>
> I then moved the ls-R file created by sudo -H mktexlsr and renamed ls-R copy to ls-R using the Finder.
>
> My test document then LaTeXed exactly as expected.

> [...]

Howdy,

First grab the TeXLive2017+Changes.pdf.zip from <https://herbs.github.io>. There is a section there about the better way to install fonts so it's easier to udpate to a later TeX Live version.

Next, what were the messages when you did the `sudo mktexlsr` command? Also check the file permissions for /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local and, in particular, the contents of that directory on your system.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)