[OS X TeX] Latex symbol for "define equal"

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun Aug 26 10:11:49 EDT 2018

Sorry to continue this thread.

On 21/08/2018, at 13:49, "Markus Klyver" <markusklyver at hotmail.com<mailto:markusklyver at hotmail.com>> wrote:

Definitions *are* equivalences.

But most equivalences are certainly not definitions.
So the same symbols should not be used.
(For example, 5 is equivalent to 2 modulo 3. But it would be silly to use 5 as a canonical example of its equivalence class  mod 3.)

A definition should be introducing the *words* that are going to be used to refer to a mathematical concept. Frequently a notation to represent the concept will also be presented.

In a sense the definition is necessarily a tautology, hence an equivalence.
But to a student who has not met the terminology already, such a characterization is completely useless.

After further study it becomes apparent that there can be many alternative ways to see that a particular mathematical property holds, as in the  det A = 0  example. But these are not alternative definitions, despite the fact that some authors try to say that they are. That they are equivalent *properties* is usually presented as a theorem, and each requires a calculation to demonstrate the equivalence.

Texts that introduce new concepts by means of a definition, without previous motivating examples, are notoriously difficult to learn from. That's why Bourbaki never really gained much traction — if you are not already an expert, just forget it.