[OS X TeX] Beamer and Movie Media

David Craig dac at panix.com
Sat Feb 17 15:54:37 EST 2018

> On Feb 17, 2018, at 12:00 PM, macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu wrote:
> From: David Goldenberg <goldenberg at biology.utah.edu>
>
> I have spent more time than I care to think about on this issue myself!
>
> For what it is worth, I keep coming back to movie15, even in its deprecated state, because it seems to do most of what I need it to do.  Unfortunately, I can?t recall what the stumbling blocks were when I tried media9, but it wasn?t for lack of trying!  I can say, though, that some of the options just didn?t work on my system.  Obviously, YMMV!

Indeed.   That has been my experience as well, as I indicated in my original message.   I have simply been unable to persuade media9 to work most of the time.   (And yes, I have RTFM.)   I have had better luck, though quite imperfect, with the older packages, same as you.  My guess is media9 works better on Windows?  Dunno.

Most of the media I’ve tried to embed are already H264, but maybe re-encoding them using ffmpeg anyway as Victor suggests is the special sauce.   Anyway, I will try again.   The relative silence in response to my post suggests I’m not missing the obvious, and indeed these packages just DON’T work very well.  I’d be pleased to be convinced otherwise!

However, this suggestion

> If I may suggest, instead of the always flaky business of embedding media files in your pdf, with packages that come and go, why not just make links?
>
> \href{run:mymovie.mov}{Let's watch it}

was really helpful.    I did not know you could do that!

David

<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>