[OS X TeX] Problem compiling Spelling dictionaries

Richard Koch koch at uoregon.edu
Sat Jan 6 11:55:24 EST 2018

Marina,

This is a problem I have seen in the past on earlier versions of OS X. But I did not run into it when I
installed on a freshly installed High Sierra.

I just check the cocoAspell site and the latest version is 2.5, which is the version we shipped with
MacTeX-2017. So you should have the latest version if you installed using the copy in ~/Applications/TeX.

Anton Leuski's cocoAspell site is

	http://people.ict.usc.edu/~leuski/cocoaspell/

and it has a comment that could be related to your problem. Here is the comment:

	• Some users reported that they are unable to configure or install the dictionaries. Generally, these problems can be traced to some modifications to the command line environment. For example, one user had his default shell set to csh and had some extra commands in .cshrcthat were confusing the dictionary installation script. I am looking to make the dictionary installation process more robust.

You might examine the system log file and see if anything was written there when you tried to install. Otherwise try
writing Leuski directly, although I should warn that he is working on other things and may not have time to
respond.

Dick Koch