[OS X TeX] Encoding Directive

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat May 19 13:06:17 EDT 2018

Howdy,

Many Editors that folks use as a front end for TeX processing have a directive (a command that is used by the Editor itself rather than by TeX when typesetting a document) to let the Editor `know' the encoding of the input source file. E.g., TeXShop uses

% !TEX encoding = ...

(where ... is from a list of encodings understood by TeXShop). While other Editors use directives that are placed at the end of the file, after the `\bye' or `\end{document}' line. Finally there are Editors that use heuristics to try to determine the encoding of a given files with easy access to be able to reload the file with a different encoding if the choice is incorrect.

I know that there are other Editors that use the

% !TEX encoding = ...

style directive (with different list than TeXShop(?)). Since I use TeXShop for almost all my Editing needs right now I'm wondering if others on the list would let me know other Editors that use this type of directive; e.g., I know TeXworks does.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)