[OS X TeX] Format for enumerate environment

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Aug 7 19:12:27 EDT 2019

On 8 Aug 2019, at 8:28 am, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu<mailto:Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu>> wrote:

This is undoubtedly a stupid question, but bear with me.

Nothing stupid about it.

I am trying to format an enumerated list (using the enumerate environment, and we are at the top level—this is not inside another “enumerate” environment).  I want to have the numbering in arabic followed by a period, as in
1. First item
2. Second item
etc, but I need to interrupt the list to insert commentary/instructions.  I know about both the enumitem package (using \end{enumerate}, then \begin{enumerate}[resume} and the mdwlist package, (using \suspend{enumerate} then \resume{enumerate}.  For some reason (is it because I am using the amsart document style?) the default labelling is in parentheses, contrary to what the Latex Companion says.

I can change the format back to the one I want, using \usepackage{enumerate} and \begin{enumerate}[1.], but can’t interrupt the list—at least I don’t know how: if I don’t invoke either enumitem or mdwlist, I know I have to go through contortions to resume the numbering after the comment, which I don’t quite understand (the explanation on pp 129-131 is opaque to me).

If I try to use enumitem and start with \begin{enumerate}[1.], even with \usepackage{enumerate},  it tells me 1. is undefined.

If I try to use [1.] after \resume{enumerate}, it finds a missing item in the second part of the list.

Can someone give me a (hopefully straightforward) solution to the problem, so that I get

Here’s how I do it.

\begin{enumerate}[1.]
1. First item
2. Second item
\end{enumerate}

We pause for a break

\begin{enumerate}[1.]
 \setcounter{enumi}{2}%  where the counter would be if there was no break
3. Third item
4. Fourth item
\end{enumerate}

?