[OS X TeX] how install temporary, test version of a TeXLive file?

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 15:17:13 EDT 2019

To see if an incompatibility between babel and another LaTeX package has been eliminated in the latest, unstable, build of babel, the babel maintainer suggests I try this latest version.

How do I do that from the downloaded .dtx and .ins — WITHOUT overwriting the babel files currently in the TeXLive texmf tree and yet so that latex will be able to use this latest version?

If I simply cd to the folder holding babel.dtx and babel.ins and run latex babel.ins, immediately I get a request to overwrite a file in the previously-installed texmf tree.

What I want to do, if it will work, is put all the files needed in the same folder as my source document, so that I can test whether the incompatibility has bee cured.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334