[OS X TeX] Silly puzzle, log file

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Oct 9 15:54:37 EDT 2019

> On Oct 9, 2019, at 1:22 PM, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> George,
>
> your image file has the same name as your \jobname ,
> that is, the PDF that you are building.
>
> Silly indeed.
>
> On 10/10/2019, at 0:14, "gratzer via MacOSX-TeX" <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>
>> A few days ago, I posted this silly puzzle:
>>
>> I'm writing a paper, swing.tex. I drew a nice illustration in Illustrator, swing.eps, converted it with TeXShop to pdf. It is included in the tex file with
>>
>> \begin{figure}[htb]
>> \centerline{\includegraphics[scale = .9]{swing}}
>> \caption{Illustrating a swing}\label{F:swingillustration}
>> %Figure~\ref{F:swingillustration}
>> \end{figure}
>>
>> Cannot typeset the file. Silly puzle: why?
>>
>> To my surprise, nobody had the obvious answer. So now I am giving it away with the log file:
>>
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/microtype/mt-euf.cfg) [1{/usr/loc
>> al/texlive/2019/texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]Syntax Error: Couldn't read xref table
>> Syntax Warning: PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
>> Syntax Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
>> Syntax Error: Couldn't read xref table
>>
>> Does this help?
>>
>> George

Howdy,

Ross, what a perfect solution!!!

An interesting thing is that if swing.eps wasn't converted to swing.pdf directly recent (quite a few years now) pdflatex engines would have automatically converted the .eps file to swing-eps-converted-to.pdf using ghostscript and there would have been no problem. Sometimes habits come back to bite you! :-) I believe one of the solutions to the problem gave this solution but no explanation.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)