[OS X TeX] instant previewing

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Jul 7 12:37:46 EDT 2020

> On Jul 7, 2020, at 10:04 AM, George Tourlakis <gt at cse.yorku.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> 1) There was once “InstantTeX” for the NeXT operating system with not only instant previewing (DVI) but also you could drag an EPS file to the source file
> and code for generating code a displaying it in TeX was provided automatically.

Howdy,

It may be possible with latexmk but I'm not sure.

> 2) Then there was iTeXMac in the MacOSX era, now apparently “dead". That also had “instant” previewing (unless it is so long ago and I am mistaken?) as one wrote on the source file (display was PDF as it is now)

I used iTeXMac for a while (before TeXShop had user defined engines) and don't remember ``instant previewing'' as being an option. iTeXMac `died' because the author stopped supporting it. He tried to create a project package format and it never took hold.

> 3) Not so important but some might like it: In iTeXMac you could select text and use the normal keyboard shortcut (Apple-b or Apple-i) to insert code for rendering bold or italics.
>
> Which of these features do mathematicians  consider desirable, I wonder? Why did they disappear? Why did iTeXMac disappear?
>
> Wish list: When (:-) will TeXShop incorporate previewing-as-you-write?
>
> Cheers,
> George

TeXShop has two macros for creating Bold (\textbf{...} and Italic (actually I use the one for \emph{...} where ... is the selection). You can bind Cmd-B and Cmd-I to them and then you have that feature built-in.

Take a look at Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks for some other features that you may like.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)