[OS X TeX] I can't install the Perl library(ies) needed to run latexindent

Joe Heafner heafnerj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 21:01:42 EDT 2020

After over two hours of trying and googling, I finally got latexindent working. There were two problems. 1) Somehow the perl installation process (https://learn.perl.org/installing/osx.html) eventually appended the perl PATH to the *end* of my existing path and not prepended it to the beginning, so I always got Apple’s perl. 2) Once I fixed that, I finally stumbled onto this page

https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/445521/latexindent-cant-locate-log-log4perl-pm-in-inc-you-may-need-to-install-the-l

and followed the suggestion of installing the necessary modules from inside cpan, not from a command line. I have no idea why this is necessary, but after that I was running latexindent. Thanks for all who helped!

BTW, Is there a way to access latexindent from inside TeXShop?

Joe Heafner
Sent from one of my Macs