[OS X TeX] hyperref problem

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Sat Jun 27 12:48:47 EDT 2020

It’s several years since I wrote that macro, so I can’t specifically remember why \ignorespaces is there,
but I suspect that it was because when I first started using that scheme, sometimes the spellchecker in the editor
would insert a space before or after the colon (remember, the scheme was: a label reads, say \label{sec:intro}
and the call to that is \refer{thm}{intro} so a space inserted when typing the label would render the reference unknown).

In any case, (1) I had no trouble using this in many projects, some involving hyperref, including a couple of books
(2) I did discover recently that the same pdf works fine if I view it either in Adobe Acrobat or in Preview, so long as I am feeding
the pdf to those viewers from outside TeXShop;  the problem seems to be solely when I have typeset the pdf in TeXShop and then
(still in TeXShop) go to the pdf and start to search.

Personally, having discovered (2) above, I regard this particular issue resolved (for me).

My more serious problems are with not being able to
typeset source code I used to be able to typeset before switching from TeXLive 2017 to MacTex 2020—first, the error messages that I get which
seem to occur (judging by the console) before the compiler even gets to my source code;  they refer to lines in the pst files—and second, my subsequent
inability to re-compile the code even when I switch back to TeXLive 2017: now my pstricks code seems to cause problems which they didn’t before.
Granted, my extensive use of the pst-ode package is at the bottom of this particular problem, and I should find a different way of generating my
pictures (something which I may find the time to learn how to do once a COVID 19 vaccine is found and I am not scrambling to learn the technology for doing online teaching)—but to not even be able to go back to the old ways!!…ok, I’m showing my age :-)
In any case, I have simply had to put that project on the back burner for now.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/

On Jun 27, 2020, at 10:33, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com<mailto:herbs at wideopenwest.com>> wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2020, at 8:50 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com<mailto:herbs at wideopenwest.com>> wrote:
>
> Howdy,
>
> Hmmm... I just added a line to Section 1 before Sub-Section 1 and empty lines before and after the \newpage. I compiled using the xelatexmk engine (move it from ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines/Inactive/Latexmk up to ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines) and the problem disappeared.
>
> <TestofHyperref.tex><TestofHyperref.pdf><formatmacros.sty><refmacros.sty>
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Howdy,

Sigh... I thought it worked but it seems to sometimes work and sometimes not!

I've had better luck if I comment out the \ignorespaces command in the definition of the \refer macro in refmacros.sty (why is it there?).

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)