[OS X TeX] hyperref problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jun 27 13:05:12 EDT 2020

> On Jun 27, 2020, at 11:48 AM, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu <mailto:Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu>> wrote:
>
> It’s several years since I wrote that macro, so I can’t specifically remember why \ignorespaces is there,
> but I suspect that it was because when I first started using that scheme, sometimes the spellchecker in the editor
> would insert a space before or after the colon (remember, the scheme was: a label reads, say \label{sec:intro}
> and the call to that is \refer{thm}{intro} so a space inserted when typing the label would render the reference unknown).

Howdy,

But that \ignorespaces appears at the very end of the macro so it doesn't do anything with the part of the reference name before the colon.

PS: I made sure to pass the original problem files onto Dick Koch and he was unable to reproduce the problem. It may be very closely tied to the actual resolution of your screen, etc., although just changing magnification did not get rid of the problem for me.

I consider the problem to be solved too but I'm really curious why removing the \ignorespaces fixes things in TeXShop. I can only guess that the link somehow gets messed up if there is no space (or newline, which is the same thing) between the the ``link'' (I really don't know how that would be true) and the following text.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)