[OS X TeX] A 12 year old problem returns

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Sun May 31 18:37:34 EDT 2020

Hi Warren.

On 1 Jun 2020, at 8:25 am, Warren Nagourney via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu<mailto:macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu>> wrote:

Thanks for your help, but the problem is not very reproducible and right now occurs very sporadically. If I find a way of reproducing the problem I can send you the document I am currently working on (a book on elementary quantum electrodynamics).

When it does happen, it occurs immediately after finishing typesetting. I will make a change in the source, type cmd-T, it will pause for few seconds while typesetting and the preview screen (on a different monitor from the source) will jump a page to two (as soon as it finishes typesetting).

This sounds like you may be getting different paginations on successive runs.
That is certainly possible, when you have quite long footnotes, perhaps including a citation
or cross-reference.

For example, the presence of the footnote at the bottom of one page may push it’s \footnote anchor onto the next page.
Then on the next run, the footnote is no longer needed on the prior page, which then means there is room
for the anchor text, so the pagination changes. That could have a knock-on effect for the start of a (sub-)section,
so creates changes also in the TOC.

To check for this kind of effect, save a copy of the PDF under a new name.
Process again, and check that both PDFs have the same number of pages.
If not, visually compare them until you find where they differ.
Try to relate that to auto-generated content, rather than input text.

Thanks again.

wn

TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/-FQLCp81gYC57QyKt7oErv?domain=tex.ac.uk>