[OS X TeX] A 12 year old problem returns

Warren Nagourney w.nagourney at icloud.com
Sun May 31 18:46:33 EDT 2020

> On May 31, 2020, at 3:37 PM, Ross Moore <ross.moore at mq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> Hi Warren.
>
>> On 1 Jun 2020, at 8:25 am, Warren Nagourney via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu <mailto:macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu>> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your help, but the problem is not very reproducible and right now occurs very sporadically. If I find a way of reproducing the problem I can send you the document I am currently working on (a book on elementary quantum electrodynamics).
>>
>> When it does happen, it occurs immediately after finishing typesetting. I will make a change in the source, type cmd-T, it will pause for few seconds while typesetting and the preview screen (on a different monitor from the source) will jump a page to two (as soon as it finishes typesetting).
>
> This sounds like you may be getting different paginations on successive runs.
> That is certainly possible, when you have quite long footnotes, perhaps including a citation
> or cross-reference.
>
> For example, the presence of the footnote at the bottom of one page may push it’s \footnote anchor onto the next page.
> Then on the next run, the footnote is no longer needed on the prior page, which then means there is room
> for the anchor text, so the pagination changes. That could have a knock-on effect for the start of a (sub-)section,
> so creates changes also in the TOC.
>
> To check for this kind of effect, save a copy of the PDF under a new name.
> Process again, and check that both PDFs have the same number of pages.
> If not, visually compare them until you find where they differ.
> Try to relate that to auto-generated content, rather than input text.
>

>> Thanks again.
>>
>> wn

>> TeX FAQ: http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/-FQLCp81gYC57QyKt7oErv?domain=tex.ac.uk>
>> List Reminders and Etiquette: https://sites.esm.psu.edu/~gray/tex/ <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/sRMSCq71jxf9VLRlUvGtSn?domain=sites.esm.psu.edu/>
>> https://email.esm.psu.edu/pipermail/macosx-tex/ <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/gyEXCvl1g2SvRO4KUE09VF?domain=email.esm.psu.edu/>
>> TeX on Mac OS X Website: http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/ <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/JSmSCwV1jpSo20P9UXCwDa?domain=mactex-wiki.tug.org/>
>

> Hope this helps.
> Stay safe.
>
> Ross
>

> Dr Ross Moore
> Department of Mathematics and Statistics
> 12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
> Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
> T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
> M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au <mailto:ross.moore at mq.edu.au>
> http://www.maths.mq.edu.au <http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/>
> <image001.png>
> CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.
> Please consider the environment before printing this email.

> [...]

Good morning Ross,

I actually don’t use footnotes (sometimes I think I should) but do use a few figures. Occasionally, the pagination changes due to the way floats work. I also haven’t set up any references yet and don’t have a reference page (I just put “[]” marks where there should be a reference and will put them later).

Thanks for your suggestions! I just wish remembered what fixed the problem 12 years ago.

Best regards,

wn