[OS X TeX] Big Sur and PDF font smoothing

Richard Seguin riseguin at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 13 16:30:39 EST 2020

One of my disappointments with several versions of macOS through Mojave was the poor font rendering from PDFKit (i.e., TeXShop and Skim) on sub-Retina monitors. I cringed when I updated straight from 10.14.6 to 10.15.6 thinking that it could get even worse, but was shocked when I discovered that Apple seemed to have finally (after several years) restored effective font smoothing in PDFKit in Mojave. Since Apple often seems to move in mysterious ways, I have to ask if anyone knows if the effective font smoothing is still there in Big Sur or if they’ve taken it away again.

Richard Séguin