[OS X TeX] A 12 year old problem returns

koch at uoregon.edu koch at uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 3 21:54:27 EDT 2020

Responding to Warren Nagourney:

Every so often I run into this exact problem, and I worry about the bug for a couple of hours before remembering the cause. In every case I've examined, the cause is simple:

A typesetting error required trashing the aux file, or produced an incomplete aux file. Without that aux file, tables of contents, lists of illustrations, and the like cannot be created, so the document is missing several pages at the start. The material I am working on is on the 97th page of the document (say), but without the table of contents and other preliminaries it is only on page 92. But TeXShop returns to page 97 and thus seems to jump ahead.

Once you remember the cause, you can fix it. If the material on page 97 is very tricky and causes you to make lots of TeX errors, comment out the table of contents and the table of illustrations temporarily. Then you'll always return to the right spot. After you have finished the tricky material, remove the comments

Richard Koch