[OS X TeX] 2021 installed but "not found"

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Apr 9 14:52:11 EDT 2021

> On Apr 9, 2021, at 1:32 PM, George Tourlakis <gt at cse.yorku.ca> wrote:
>
> Hi Herbert, Dick,
>
>> On Apr 6, 2021, at 2:34 PM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed MacTeX 2021
>
> I succeeded that far. Effortless install. I did it twice :)
>
> Because even though it IS there under /usr/local/texlive  it is not “there” as far as the LocalTeX and TeX Distribution panels know. Lastly,
> TeXShop is not picking it up (it picks up 2020).
>
> I do have 2021 under /usr/local/texlive !
>
> I must have misread/ignored some installation instruction?
>
> (BTW, I did do the proverbial "logout and log in again" after install, that I never had to do in the past)
>
> Thanks!
>
> George

Howdy,

How did you install? Did you simply download and use the MacTeX-2021 installer package or did you do the Unix Install?

If you did the latter you need to download and install the TeXDist-2021 package and install it to set up the proper data structures; see the information at <https://www.tug.org/mactex/mactex-unix-download.html>.

If you did the former open TeX Live Utility and look under Configure->Change Default TeX Live Version… and see if TeX Live 2021 is actually installed and the active distribution. In the Engine tab of TeXShop->Preferences the Path Setting for (pdf)tex should be /Library/TeX/texbin NOT something like /usr/local/texlive/...!

herbs at wideopenwest.com