[OS X TeX] TeXShop manual on editing

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Apr 20 12:40:10 EDT 2021

> On Apr 20, 2021, at 11:04 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear All,
>
> My major text editor has been emacs / Aquamacs, since when I needed it for programming, and I'll still need it. Now and then, I've been check typesetting in TeXShop, just to see how it goes, and especially in times of crises with Aquamacs.  Each time I turn on TeXShop, I get more-and-more attracted to it. Not only by its features, but also by its development and the extraordinary, amazing support by this list on everything related to TeX on Mac OS, and beyond!
>
> I need to learn better TeXShop editing.
>
> Sorry for my questions, if they are too basic.
>
> Is there some manual on basic editing keys, key combinations and basic commands? E.g., moving to the beginning / end of document, paragraph, line, etc.; marking an environment, from start to end of a pair of parentheses, ect.? I've looked through the pull-down menu Help, but I couldn't find anything on how to move and mark, replace, etc.   it gives more advanced topics.

Howdy,

Some of these things, especially moving around the document source, are actually supplied by the OS so are not TeXShop specific. YOu might take a look at the Help->TeXShop Tips and Tricks document for some information about some more obscure features.

> One thing that I would recommend changing in the default settings of TeXShop: the text between matching parentheses is highlighted in too dark red to see properly the text. From the Help topics, I see it can be changed with Hidden Preferences. But how and where are these?

Take a look at the Themes tab of TeXShop->Preferences. Specifically the Characters section.

> I'm missing something like the manuals reachable from Emacs, in its Help item and on its starting page. In addition, each version of Emacs (v. 27 as far as I see) has a reference card, with almost all major commands on 2 pages! I find this extraordinarily useful, esp. in times off-line.

There are other documents under the Help menu that you might find useful but there isn't a full TeXShop manual.

> Last days, in my tests with a lot of files for the pstricks, in the rush, I couldn't figure out basic editing commands. So, I've been typing in Aquamacs, and excellently indeed, TeXShop would update automatically the source, which I keep opened in a TeXShop window:
>
>  TeXShop Preferences > Preview > External Editor > Automatic Preview Update
>
> I had expected this option to update the pdf view in TeXShop, but good for me these days, it updates the .tex source in the opened window. It would be good to have both updated when they get changed in Aquamacs and Skim.
>
> Best Regards,
> Roussanka

The usual thing is not to display the source on TeXShop after editing in an external editor but rather to use TeXShop to typeset the file and display the pdf directly. You should not only have Automatic Preview Update checked for External Editor in the Preview tab of TeXShop->Preferences but also the Configure for External Editor item checked in the On Startup section of the
source tab in TeXShop->Preferences. How you setup Aquamacs is not something I know about; my days of using emacs have long been gone.

herbs at wideopenwest.com