[OS X TeX] TeXShop manual on editing

Roussanka Loukanova rl.stpuu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:05:26 EDT 2021

> Howdy,

> > Last days, in my tests with a lot of files for the pstricks, in the
> rush, I couldn't figure out basic editing commands. So, I've been typing in
> Aquamacs, and excellently indeed, TeXShop would update automatically the
> source, which I keep opened in a TeXShop window:
> >
> >  TeXShop Preferences > Preview > External Editor > Automatic Preview
> Update
> >
> > I had expected this option to update the pdf view in TeXShop, but good
> for me these days, it updates the .tex source in the opened window. It
> would be good to have both updated when they get changed in Aquamacs and
> Skim.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Roussanka
>
> The usual thing is not to display the source on TeXShop after editing in
> an external editor but rather to use TeXShop to typeset the file and
> display the pdf directly. You should not only have Automatic Preview Update
> checked for External Editor in the Preview tab of TeXShop->Preferences but
> also the Configure for External Editor item checked in the On Startup
> section of the
> source tab in TeXShop->Preferences.

This works only once, when I had typed and save a file.tex in Aquamacs,
without typesetting, and then I attempt to open file.tex in TexShop:
wonderfully it typesets the file.tex file, without opening it, shows the
console and the file.pdf!

But if I continue typing in file.tex in Aquamacs, TeXShop can't react. I
have to close the file.pdf (not necessarily quitting TeXShop) and it
typesets it freshly.

This is a very nice feature, indeed, as in my case of poor typing skills
with TeXShop. It would be even better to be able to typeset again upon
modified file.tex.

Of course, I better also learn typing quickly enough in TeXShop.

Thanks, again and agin!
Roussanka