[OS X TeX] three issues

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Mon Feb 15 14:09:50 EST 2021

I am using the memoir document style to produce a set of class notes/book and am puzzled by three issues.
The nature of these issues make it difficult to provide a minimal example, but I am attaching my “master” .tex file as well as the log file for the latest run of the document.
Here are my three issues:

1. I want the chapters to be called “lectures”.  The command \renewcommand{\chaptername}{Lecture} appears on line 49 of the master file.
Initially, the chapter headings read “Lecture 1”, etc. Then suddenly it reverted to being “Chapter 1", etc.

2. I put the command \usepackage[colorlinks, backref]{hyperref} on line 39 of the master file.  Initially, I was getting active hyperref links, then suddenly it changed.  backref seems to work (there are section references in the bibiiography and page references in the index ) and references show up in red; if I click on a reference, I get a thumbnail of the material being referred to, but the viewer does
not jump to the relevant place in the document, and clicking on a page number in the table of contents does not have any effect.  Following the instructions in the memoir docs, I put this \usepackage call after all the other \usepackage commands.

3. The title page shows the page number i.  How do I suppress that?

I don’t really know how to read the log (ie, I can display it, but I don’t necessarily understand what I see.)
Any suggestions as to what kinds of conflicts might be causing these problems would be appreciated.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155