[OS X TeX] three issues

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Mon Feb 15 15:07:21 EST 2021

Hi Zbigniew,

On 16 Feb 2021, at 6:09 am, Nitecki, Zbigniew H. <Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu<mailto:Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu>> wrote:

I am using the memoir document style to produce a set of class notes/book and am puzzled by three issues.
The nature of these issues make it difficult to provide a minimal example, but I am attaching my “master” .tex file as well as the log file for the latest run of the document.
Here are my three issues:

1. I want the chapters to be called “lectures”.  The command \renewcommand{\chaptername}{Lecture} appears on line 49 of the master file.
Initially, the chapter headings read “Lecture 1”, etc. Then suddenly it reverted to being “Chapter 1", etc.

Use:

\AtBeginDocument{\renewcommand{\chaptername}{Lecture}}

This is because either the memoir class, or one of the early packages
alters  \chaptername  as part of the document setup.
So your redefinition gets overridden.
By delaying to  \begin{document}  now it will stick.

2. I put the command \usepackage[colorlinks, backref]{hyperref} on line 39 of the master file.  Initially, I was getting active hyperref links, then suddenly it changed.  backref seems to work (there are section references in the bibiiography and page references in the index ) and references show up in red;

Since you are getting references in ‘red’ then some things are working properly.

if I click on a reference, I get a thumbnail of the material being referred to,

Do you not get this just by hovering the mouse over the red link annotation?

but the viewer does
not jump to the relevant place in the document, and clicking on a page number in the table of contents does not have any effect.

Following the instructions in the memoir docs, I put this \usepackage call after all the other \usepackage commands.

Despite what the (very old) instructions say about when to load hyperref,
this actually isn’t the best way to handle it.
Many  hyperref  options work using   \hypersetup{..list of options..}
and setting link colours is certainly one of those.

You should load hyperref as early as necessary to fit with the actions of other packages.
Indeed some packages load hyperref themselves anyway.
Then use  \hypersetup{ … }  to adjust the options which were not set at loading time.

3. The title page shows the page number i.  How do I suppress that?

Read the Memoir documentation about  \frontmatter   and  \mainmatter .
This issue should be addressed there.

I don’t really know how to read the log (ie, I can display it, but I don’t necessarily understand what I see.)
Any suggestions as to what kinds of conflicts might be causing these problems would be appreciated.

Just take some time to read what it says.
Every line (or block of lines) relates to some aspect of what is going into your document.

You will see messages that relate directly to problems that you may notice.

For example, since you didn’t include some of the personal packages
and source files (for  \input … ), I get blocks like:

Enter file name:

! LaTeX Error: File `historymacros.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

Enter file name:

! LaTeX Error: File `graphicsmacros.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

Enter file name:

! LaTeX Error: File `colormacros.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

Enter file name:

! LaTeX Error: File `formatmacros.sty' not found.

Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)

Enter file name:

./Coeur-test.tex:36: LaTeX Error: Unknown option `chaptertheorem' for package `
formatmacros'.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.36

?

./Coeur-test.tex:36: LaTeX Error: Unknown option `indexdefs' for package `forma
tmacros'.

The  "Enter file name: “  is from TeX offering you the opportunity
to give a different name (e.g., with a directory path prefixed) to where
the package file resides.

Another message that I get is:

(/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/carlisle/scalefnt.sty)
(/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/etoolbox/etoolbox.sty)
(/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/subfig/subfig.sty

Class memoir Warning: You are using the caption package with the memoir class.
To prepare we will now reset all captioning macros and configurations to kernel
 defaults, and then let the caption package take over. Please remember to use
 the caption package interfaces in order to
 configure your captions.

(/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/caption.sty
(/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/caption/caption3.sty)))

This could be related to the resetting of  \chaptername  as you mentioned.

The ( … )  delimit the scope of when a file is opened for reading, and when it is subsequently closed.
Here this means that it is the  subfig  package which is requiring the  caption  package,
which in turn loads  caption3 .

Think back, maybe you had everything working as you wanted,
then decided to add the  caption   package?
Memoir would then reset some things, as stated here, expecting you
to be using options defined by  caption  to setup what it needs in all situations.

But you were not aware of this, so are asking here.

Always browsing the  .log file (well, at least the Console window)
is a vital part of any large LaTeX job.
After awhile you will get to understand what various messages mean.
Then you’ll be able to skim through it, noting things that are highly relevant
and ignoring stuff that is just routine and of little consequence.

This might also affect the page-numbering on the 1st page.
Not sure.

Learn such details by commenting-out loading of packages
and see what changes.
Or change the order in which some packages are loaded.

Zbigniew Nitecki
Department of Mathematics
Tufts University
Medford, MA 02155

telephones:
Office    (617)627-3843
Dept.    (617)627-3234
Dept. fax    (617)627-3966
http://www.tufts.edu/~znitecki/<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/m59oC5QP8yS4k2zRtz8NnA?domain=tufts.edu/>

Hope this helps.

Ross

Dr Ross Moore
12 Wally’s Walk, Level 7, Room 734
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia
T: +61 2 9850 8955  |  F: +61 2 9850 8114
M:+61 407 288 255  |  E: ross.moore at mq.edu.au<mailto:ross.moore at mq.edu.au>
http://www.maths.mq.edu.au
[cid:image001.png at 01D030BE.D37A46F0]
CRICOS Provider Number 00002J. Think before you print.

This message is intended for the addressee named and may
contain confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed
in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not
necessarily the views of Macquarie University. <http://mq.edu.au/>
<http://mq.edu.au/>