[OS X TeX] TeX and DVI in beamer problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Feb 28 12:06:16 EST 2021

> On Feb 28, 2021, at 10:56 AM, Roussanka Loukanova <rl.stpuu at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Dear Herb,
>

> On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 2:19 AM Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:
>
> First open ~/Library/TeXShop: TeXshop has a menu item, TeXShop->Open ~/Library/TeXShop, that will open that folder on the Desktop. Then place the two files found in the `For TeXShop/Engines' folder (inside the `GhostscriptTransparencyEngines' folder) inside the `Engines' folder. Then Open the `bin' folder in ~/Library/TeXShop and place the file in the `For TeXShop/bin/tslatexmk' folder into the `tslatexmk' folder found there.
>
> I have done these, by following them from Terminal. I'll send you my notes-instructions how I did, separately, off the list, for you to check if I did OK - I think I did so.
>
> Finally, restart TeXShop. You can confirm the two engines,latexTR and latexTRmk, are active by clicking on the engines popup menu on the Source Window's toolbar.
>
> It took me a little bit to figure out which and where is the popup menu. The test files, yours and mine, work wonderfully!
>
> The typesetting used to work up to some point, perhaps in 2020. I recall  that there was s discussion about problems  with gs in his list, but I couldn't grasp them, because at that point , it didn't occur to me to test these  beamer files.
>
> I hope that TeXLive will fix the Ghostscript soon, to have it working normally, by default, from Aquamacs too.
>
> Thank you very much!
> Roussanka
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> herbs at wideopenwest.com

Howdy,

The problem is that version 9.51 and later of ghostscript (gs, ps2pdf) treat transparency differently that before so a new option has to be passed to ps2pdf to allow transparency.

It's not so simple to update things because one never knows what version of ghostscript a person has. Those two engines check the ghostscript version and set the proper option. It is more difficult in other systems.

herbs at wideopenwest.com