[OS X TeX] Previewing PDF with movie/aniations

Themis Matsoukas tmatsoukas at icloud.com
Wed Jan 13 07:38:42 EST 2021

Here is an update on my project. My goal was to create a short screen recording of a narrated  PDF presentation that includes a short animation. Here is how I did it:

1. Created presentation in beamer
2. Used PDF to Keynote to import the slides in keynote
3. Embedded the movie in keynote
4. Air dropped the keynote file to the iPad.
5. Mirrored the iPad to my laptop using the app Reflector 3
6. Started the presentation on the iPad and recorded it on the laptop using Quick Time
7. Imported the mov file to iMovie and then saved as mp4.

The process took 7 apps and 2 devices ! There are reasons for many of these steps, others might have been avoided perhaps.

-- the reason for choosing keynote was so that the movie could be played via the same app that does the presentation. I could have linked to the file vie hyperref but this opens a quick time window that makes the presentation look a bit more homemade than I would have liked.

-- I run the presentation on the iPad because I wanted to use the laser pointer during the presentation. I could not figure whether this feature is available on the desktop version of keynote

-- I mirrored the iPad because that way the palette with the laser pointed is hidden, it shows on the iPad but not on the desktop, which is treated as a presentation display. I could have used QT to record the iPad screen via wired connection, but this makes the palette visible when the laser pointer is used.

-- I had to use iMovie because I needed an mp4 and QT only makes mov

Themis