[OS X TeX] Tabs in TS windows

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Jan 30 08:37:41 EST 2021

> On Jan 30, 2021, at 6:45 AM, Themis Matsoukas via MacOSX-TeX <macosx-tex at email.esm.psu.edu> wrote:
>
> I discovered accidentally that I can put multiple latex  files as tabs in the same window. That's wonderful, my 13 inch screen is always starved for space!
>
> Is there a way to open new documents as tabs in an existing window? I figured how to merge windows as tabs into one but I am wondering if I can open directly a document into a tab. Or even if it is possible to have the PDF preview as a tab in the source window ("Merge All Windows" does not merge the preview}.
>
> TS 4.58 + OS 11.1
>
> Themis

Howdy,

If you REALLY like tabs try setting `Prefer tabs ... when opening documents' to `always' in the `General' tab of `System Preferences'. I think that might do it globally though.

If you want all sources in a project to automatically open in tabs use the TeXShop directive

% !TEX useTabs

in the root file to open all documents \include'd in the root file. And, to include what you want from the project use the TeXShop directives

% !TEX useTabsWithFiles
% !TEX tabbedFile{secondfile.tex}
% !TEX tabbedFile{thirdfile.tex}
% !TEX tabbedFile{subdir/fourthfile.tex}

in the root file to open particular files in tabs.

If you want Source and Preview to be tied together you can try `Windows->One Window'; not really tabbed together and I don't know what happens when you combine the two things.

herbs at wideopenwest.com