[OS X TeX] [External] [External] double page view

Nitecki, Zbigniew H. Zbigniew.Nitecki at tufts.edu
Tue Aug 2 23:13:16 EDT 2022

OK, I had already changed the TeXShop Preferences button to read Pages Flow Left to Right.

You said to then write one of the two magic lines at the top of one of my documents.  I interpreted that to mean that I should type it at the top of the governing .tex file.
(This book project has a master file and many individual text files which are input by the master).
I tried each of the two “magic lines”, both before and immediately after the line
% !TEX TS-program=latex
which I have used to specify the engine being used.
Neither line had any effect on the layout,  Also, changing "Pages Flow Left to Right" to   “Pages Flow Right to Left” (using the buttons on the TeXShop Preferences pane)
made no difference.

In all these cases, what I get is
first, a single page  (the title page)

then, a double page consisting of  page 1 (the first page of the table of contents as generated via the .toc file) on the left, and a blank page on the right

then, double pages, grouped correctly in consecutive pairs, but with the earlier page on the right and the later page on the left
(so the firs of these has page 3 on the left and page 2 on the right)
Actually, before all this changed, the double page following the (single) title page had the blank page on the left and page 1 (first tor page) on the right,
which is what I expected.
This left-right reversal continues through all 546 pages of the pdf file.

So my problem is not  the distinction between a first single page and then double pages, but the internal order in each double page.

I wonder whether the problem is the document class specification?   Mine is
\documentclass[11pt, openright]{memoir}
I thought maybe the “openright”part was an error, but I think that just says whether a new chapter (or new part) begins on the right or left—when I changed it to open left the length of the pdf went from 546 to 555 pages.

Or am I entering this data in the wrong place?

ZN